The Pointe-a-Pierre Government Primary School was established in
the 1930’s by Trinidad Leasehold Limited to accommodate approximately
one hundred students. It is situated in a very tranquil, scenic
environment at the bottom of Beaumont Hill on lands owned by Petrotrin.
There are no residents in the immediate vicinity of the school.
The original wooden structure was demolished in June 2000. This resulted
in staff and pupils being re-located to one of Petrotrin’s houses at
#29 Beaumont Hill, while a new building was being constructed. Although
the new building was modified to include a library, a computer room, a
staff room and a stock room, several other features were lacking. In
keeping with modern development trends, there is need for a science
laboratory, multipurpose hall, a cafeteria and more importantly
individual classrooms. Classes are presently divided by chalkboards
with little or no space for teachers and students to move around.
We took occupancy of the new facility on Wednesday 6th February, 2002.
The enrolment capacity is approximately one hundred and twenty (120).
However, enrolment was negatively affected during the period of the
school’s reconstruction. The student population was reduced from
fifty-eight (58) to thirty-five (35). The number has since increased
and so one hundred and twenty-seven (127) students are presently
enrolled. These students reside within the neighbouring villages of
Marabella, Plaisance Park, St. Margaret’s Village and Claxton Bay. A
number of students also come from homes with low literacy levels and one
or more social problems.
Our previous Strategic Plan (2004-2008) realized improvements in our
National Tests scores as well as our S.E.A. results. At present, we
would like to focus on exposing our students to co-curricular and extra
activities. These include 4-H, Music, Cricket, Football, Netball, Red
Cross and Cub Scouts.